Skewers are a world food favorite. Anywhere you go, at any hour of the day (maybe especially late night), you’re bound to find meat politely piled onto sticks. Perhaps it is something humble about the plating or the diverse spices and seasonings used in varying countries that inevitably leaves eaters ravenous and wanting more.
While traditional skewers can be prepared in a variety of ways and today sees many modern takes on the authentic street food, it’s worth taking a moment to appreciate lamb kebabs’ original serving style on swords over campfires.
Today, skewers are comparatively civilized, but nonetheless reveled in and devoured all over the world.
Chinese Lamb Skewers
Cumin and chili are the telltale indicators of authentic skewers made and served in Beijing and just one reason that foodies across the globe go mad for dining on the streets of China or creating their kebab parties at home.
Below is a quick peek at a recipe for perfecting your own skewers at home. It’s easy, shouldn’t take more than a combined 45 minutes and will produce a serving of 6-8 kebabs.
Chinese Lamb Skewer Recipe: Step by Step Guide
What you’ll need:
For the kebabs:
– 2 pounds lamb, typically one roast
– 6 to 8 skewer sticks, plan on 8 just in case
For the spice:
– 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
– 1 tablespoon black peppercorn
– 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
– 1 tablespoon salt
– 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
How to make the skewers:
First, let’s look at preparing the spice
– 1-2 minutes: Toss the cumin seeds and peppercorns into a small skillet. Make sure to move them around during the two minutes so they are evenly toasted.
– Remove heat
– Move everything from the pan into a grinder and pulverize on medium
– Dump into a small bowl
– Add remaining spice ingredients
– Put aside
Next, prepare the lamb
– Dice the roast into cubes of 1 1/4 inches
– Put lamb cubes into a large bowl
– Pour spice rub into a bowl
– Toss to evenly coat all meat
– Let soak for 15 minutes
Now, head to the grill
– Preheat for medium-high to high heat
– Oil grill grates
– Wipe down the grill grates using a folded paper towel and high smoke point cooking oil
Almost there, time to prepare the skewers
– Line 6-8 cubes of lamb on each skewer
– Place kebabs on the grill for 10-12 minutes
– Turn over every few minutes
Finally, it is time to serve
– Remove kebabs from grill to serving platter and invite your guests to enjoy
Vegans and vegetarians – fear not
For our animal-friendly eaters, there’s still plenty of ways to enjoy skewers. Try subbing lamb for plain seitan for lamb or mix in extra veggies of your choice.
And that’s it! Easy enough for an end-of-summer Asian Fusion barbeque, we’d say. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us at Zhen Wei Fang.
Try the infamous lamb skewer at its best!
Need an experiment before committing to hosting friends and family for spicy Chinese lamb skewers? Try ours at Zhen Wei Fang for a mouth-watering, glamorous night out in the city and see where your imagination pulls your chef instincts when its time to prepare yourself.
Zhen Wei Fang has recently opened its door on The Bowery. We offer an inspirational, new age dining experience to get a taste of the most authentic Chinese cuisine infused with Japanese and French culinary notes. Come and try our dishes with modern twists in an eclectic setting that will have you planning a return and your own home party Asian fusion menu.